This quick and easy Caramel Whipped Coffee is the creamiest, dreamiest iced coffee ever! Whip instant coffee, water, and sugar until light and fluffy, spoon it over caramel-flavored milk and ice, and enjoy!
If you have been anywhere on social media lately, you likely have seen the trend of whipped coffee (also referred to as Dalgona coffee). I love iced coffee, so I had to try it and see what all the hubbub was about. One word, my friends: AMAZING! If you like coffee, you should definitely make this asap!
I have no idea who originally developed this wonderful concoction and shared it with the world – although I have read that it comes from South Korea and is called Dalgona coffee because the whipped coffee resembles a candy of the same name. Whoever you are, thank you, thank you, thank you!
The addition of caramel is my own little twist on the whipped coffee phenomenon. I am a coffee-with-my-milk-and-sugar kind of girl, and when I tried the original version, I found it wasn’t at all sweet enough for my liking. The flavor of the coffee is quite strong, and I just thought it needed more sweetness to balance it out.
I knew that adding more sugar to the icy cold drink wouldn’t work well because it would take forever to dissolve. I was just about to add some maple syrup when I remembered that I had a bottle of caramel syrup in my pantry.
Oh, yeah, baby! It was the perfect choice. It added the sweetness I was looking for with a delicious hint of caramel flavor. Kind of like an iced caramel macchiato…but so much better!
Okay, so are you ready to try it? It only takes about 5 minutes!
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED:
- Instant coffee
- Hot water
- Ice cubes
- Caramel syrup
You can find caramel syrup by the chocolate syrup/chocolate milk mixes in the grocery store. Homemade caramel sauce would be fantastic if you make your own, as would some of my Homemade Dulce De Leche.
HERE’S A QUICK LOOK AT HOW TO MAKE CARAMEL WHIPPED COFFEE:
The milk with the whipped coffee floating on top makes a stunning presentation, and this is how I would serve it, but when you are ready to actually drink it, you want to stir the whipped coffee into the milk until it is well combined. Creamy, magical deliciousness will happen.
Then just grab a straw (optional but recommended in case you need to stir some more) and sit back, relax, and enjoy sipping on your super yummy drink!
TIPS & TIDBITS:
- I used my favorite store brand decaf instant coffee for this. Use whatever instant coffee you enjoy the flavor of. I don’t think I would recommend using instant espresso, though, as the whipped coffee is already pretty strong just using regular instant coffee.
- I know that instant coffee isn’t the choice of most coffee conoisseurs (or even just us regular coffee drinkers), but you have to use it in this recipe. Regular coffee won’t work. Don’t be a coffee snob with this drink…just enjoy it for what it is!
- I whip the coffee by hand using a whisk. It takes me about 4 minutes, and I switch arms a lot, but my muscles thank me later. By all means, though, use an electric mixer if you prefer.
- I have only used whole milk for this whipped coffee, but I would imagine you could use your favorite milk, including almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, etc.
- Use as much or as little caramel syrup as you’d like. I like mine sweet, so I use 2 tablespoons.
- I like this best ice cold, but if you would like a hot drink, use a heat-proof mug and hot milk instead of the ice cubes and cold milk.
- If you’d like to try the original version of whipped coffee, just leave out the caramel syrup.
Just for fun, I think I’m going to try using chocolate syrup next time because why not? I think that would be delicious too. What other flavors can we dream up?
I hope you try this recipe for Caramel Whipped Coffee and love it as much as I do. Thanks for visiting today!
Caramel Whipped Coffee
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 ice cubes
- 1 cup cold milk
- 2 tablespoons caramel syrup, add more or less to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the instant coffee granules, sugar, and hot water. Using a whisk or an electric mixer, whip until the mixture becomes light in color, fluffy, and holds soft peaks.
- Place the ice cubes in a glass (you will want to use at least a 13-ounce glass) and add the milk.
- Add the caramel syrup and stir to combine.
- Spoon the whipped coffee over the top; serve immediately.
- To enjoy, stir together the whipped coffee and milk with a spoon or straw.
- You must use instant coffee in this recipe. Regular coffee won’t work. I don’t think I would recommend using instant espresso, though, because it may be too strong.
- I like this best ice cold, but if you’d like a hot drink, use a heat-proof mug and use hot milk instead of ice cubes and cold milk.
- If you’d like to make the original version of whipped coffee, just leave out the caramel syrup.
- Homemade Dulce De Leche
- Maple Vanilla Chai Tea Latte
- Warm Vanilla Milk Bedtime Drink
- Chocolate Chip Hot Chocolate
- Cold Brew Iced Tea