Want a dip recipe that’s sure to be a hit at your next party? This Easy Taco Dip is it! It’s super simple to make, takes only 5 minutes, and is full of fabulous flavor!
Since tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo, I thought I’d share one of my favorite Mexican-inspired party snack recipes…this Easy Taco Dip! Not only is it perfect for a Cinco de Mayo celebration, it’s great for game day, all the upcoming summer picnics, cookouts, and barbecues, or any get-together!
This is one of those classic recipes that has been around in some version or another for as long as I can remember. It’s so ridiculously simple and yet so delicious. This is how my mom made it. One taste, and I was hooked for EVER!
It starts with a layer of cream cheese and sour cream that is flavored with taco seasoning. Then you top it with your favorite salsa and some cheese. I like to keep it simple, so I sprinkle on some green onions for color and extra flavor. DONE!
That plate of deliciousness right there will be gone in no time flat. I already ate some of it (that’s the half you can’t see), and I know I will be going back to it all day!
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE EASY TACO DIP:
- Whipped cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Taco seasoning (packet or homemade)
- Mexican blend cheese
- Green onions
HERE’S A QUICK LOOK AT HOW TO MAKE EASY TACO DIP:
TIPS AND TIDBITS:
- I use whipped cream cheese to keep the dip soft and scoopable. It’s so frustrating when you break your chip trying to get some dip. Am I right? Because you have to keep this dip cold until you are ready to serve it, if you use regular cream cheese, your dip might be too hard and result in broken chips. Luckily, they make whipped cream cheese! If you can’t find it in your grocery store, just whip some regular cream cheese with a hand mixer or stand mixer until it’s nice and fluffy.
- When you spread the dip on the plate, make a little lip around the edge so the salsa doesn’t run down the sides. Or you could just spread it in a pie plate or a dish that has sides.
- You can totally add more toppings if you want – like shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, olives, black beans, corn, or jalapenos. Make it your way! If you are going to make this dip ahead of time, I would suggest leaving the toppings off until right before you are ready to serve so that everything is fresh and beautiful!
- Since there is dairy in this dip, you have to keep it refrigerated (obvs) until you are ready to serve it. It should not be left out for more than 2 hours (if it’s really hot, I would say no more than an hour). If you can keep it chilled/on ice while serving, even better!
If you’d like to make your own taco seasoning for this recipe instead of using a packet, check out my recipe for Homemade Taco Seasoning. I use one batch in this taco dip for a really bold flavor, but you can adjust the amount to suit your taste. I also have a Quick & Easy Homemade Salsa recipe you might want to try!
I hope you try this Easy Taco Dip recipe and love it as much as I do. Thanks for visiting today!
Easy Taco Dip
- 12 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (1-ounce packet) taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture onto a plate. Make a small lip around the edges (this will help keep the salsa from running down the sides – or you can just spread it in a pie plate or a dish with sides).
- Spread the salsa on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and green onions.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- If you can’t get whipped cream cheese, whip up regular cream cheese with a hand mixer or stand mixer until fluffy. Whipped cream cheese keeps the dip soft and scoopable.
- You can add additional toppings such as shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, olives, black beans, corn, or jalapenos. If making the dip ahead of time, add the toppings right before serving so that everything is fresh and beautiful!
- When serving, only leave out for a maximum of two hours (keep chilled if possible). If it’s really hot out, I wouldn’t leave it out more than an hour.
- Refrigerate any leftovers. Fresh dip should last 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.