Skillet Tortilla Pizza is THE BEST personal-sized, super-thin-crust pizza! It’s so quick and easy to make when you want pizza, and you want it NOW. Using a cast-iron skillet makes it nice and crispy!
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again…I LOVE pizza and could eat it every day! When I’m in the mood for pizza but don’t want to go through the fuss of making dough or even getting takeout pizza, tortilla pizza is my go-to. It’s so delicious, and it satisfies my pizza cravings in a hurry (seriously – like in 10 minutes)!
I’ve been making tortilla pizzas for a long, long time (when you’re a broke kid in college, they’re awesome!). When I first started making them, I just put the tortilla on a baking sheet, topped it, and baked it. It was really good, but the crust was never quite as crispy as I wanted it to be.
The answer for a crispy tortilla? A cast iron skillet! First, you crisp up the tortilla in the skillet. Then you add the toppings. Then you put the skillet under the broiler just until the cheese melts. It works like a charm!
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED:
- Olive oil
- Flour tortilla (about 9-inch or so)
- Pizza sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Additional toppings (your choice)
- Cast-iron skillet (10 or 12-inch)
HERE’S A QUICK LOOK AT HOW TO MAKE SKILLET TORTILLA PIZZA:
In addition to using a cast-iron skillet, another secret to a crispy pizza is to make sure you don’t overdo it with the toppings! For a 9-inch-ish tortilla, I only use 3 tablespoons of sauce and ½ cup of cheese. It’s really all you need for a delicious pizza!
I usually use a plain flour tortilla for my pizza, but you could use whole wheat or any other flavor you want. You could also use a bigger tortilla (or even a smaller, taco-sized one – the perfect kid size). Just adjust the amount of sauce and cheese accordingly.
Oh, and if you happen to make your own homemade tortillas…USE THEM them for this recipe! Wow, what a difference! Stay tuned – I’ll be posting a super easy homemade tortilla recipe soon.
When you’re feeding more than one person, of course, you’re going to have to go through the process again for as many pizzas as you want to make. If you have two cast-iron skillets, you could get a second one going while the first one is under the broiler.
Only have one skillet? Just share the first pizza while the next one is cooking – which is what we usually do because, even though I have another skillet, we only want to have to clean one, so I just keep cranking out the pizzas one at a time until we’re full!
One tortilla pizza is the perfect size for one person. It’s the ultimate quick and easy personal pizza AND everybody can top their own pizza exactly the way they want it!
The next time you have a pizza craving, give tortilla pizza a try. I always keep everything I need on hand so I can make one of these babies whenever I want!
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Skillet Tortilla Pizza and love it as much as I do! Thanks for visiting today!
Skillet Tortilla Pizza
- ¼ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 flour tortilla (about 9-inches)
- 3 tablespoons pizza sauce (or spaghetti sauce)
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- additional toppings of your choice, optional
- Preheat the broiler.
- Coat a 10- or 12-inch cast-iron skillet with the olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- Place the tortilla in the pan and cook until the bottom is crispy and lightly browned.
- Flip the tortilla and top with sauce and cheese (and any other toppings you'd like).
- Place the pan under the broiler (the pan should be about 6 inches away from the heat source) until the cheese is melted.
- Carefully remove the pizza from the pan and let cool for a minute or two before slicing.
- After removing the pizza from the oven, if you find that you would like it to be a little more crisp, just place the pan back on the stove top over low heat for a minute or two (watch carefully so it doesn’t burn).