This easy Spicy Tomato Vegetable Soup has tons of mixed vegetables in a rich, flavorful, beefy, tomato-y broth with a lightly spicy kick. It’s sure to warm you up on chilly days!
Fall has arrived! It’s my favorite season. The days aren’t hot and humid. The nights are getting chilly. The leaves are already starting to turn color, and the smell in the air is amazing. I also love fall because it’s the start of soup season (pretty much everything in my world revolves around food), and I LOVE soup!
I don’t know about you, but sometimes getting enough vegetables in my diet can be a real challenge. I eat some with dinner every night, but I know that’s not really enough. This Spicy Tomato Vegetable Soup is one of my favorite things to eat for lunch (or dinner) because it’s got tons of veggies in one bowl AND it’s really, really delicious!
I especially love it with a gooey grilled cheese sandwich! Just sayin’.
I do not skimp on the veggies in this soup. I start with celery, onions, and garlic for some great flavor, along with some diced potatoes. That’s all the chopping you’ll need to do! To cut down the prep time, I add frozen mixed vegetables – a blend of carrots, corn, green beans, peas, and baby lima beans. Such a great time saver!
The broth is also packing a veggie punch. In addition to beef broth, I add tomato sauce and V8 vegetable juice! If you want chunks of tomato in there, feel free to add a can of diced tomatoes.
To amp up the meaty flavor of the beef broth even more and give the soup some of that wonderful umami flavor, I add some Worcestershire sauce.
Finally, the spiciness. It comes from chili powder. It really adds a nice little kick that makes this vegetable soup a little different than your average vegetable soup. The amount in the recipe gives you a light to medium spiciness. Add more or less to suit your tastes (you could even eliminate it altogether if you’re not into spicy, and the soup will still be delicious).
You’ll be sitting down to a bowl of this veggie-packed soup in less than an hour!
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED:
- Olive oil
- Beef broth
- Tomato Sauce
- V8 juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- Chili powder
- Bay leaves
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Salt and pepper
For the beef broth, use your favorite. I always use Better Than Bouillon Beef Base mixed with water. The flavor is outstanding!
HERE’S A QUICK LOOK AT HOW TO MAKE SPICY TOMATO VEGETABLE SOUP:
You could absolutely make this soup vegan by swapping out the beef broth for vegetable broth and eliminating the Worcestershire sauce (or using a vegan version of Worcestershire sauce).
If you want to make a fun homemade version of alphabet soup for the kids, you could reduce or take out the chili powder if they don’t like spice (although my 6-year old niece loves spicy food), and then add some alphabet pasta when you add the mixed veggies. Simmer until the pasta is tender.
This soup freezes really well. After it has cooled, put it in freezer-safe containers or in freezer bags. It should last for several months in the freezer. When you’re ready to enjoy some, just thaw it the day before in the fridge, and then reheat.
I hope you try this recipe for Spicy Tomato Vegetable Soup and love it as much as I do. Thanks for visiting today!
Spicy Tomato Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced celery, about 4 stalks
- 2 cups diced onion, about 1 medium onion
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes (¼ inch), about 2 medium potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef broth, I use 4 cups water plus 4 teaspoons of Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 cups V8 vegetable juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, add more or less to suit your taste
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, green beans, corn, baby lima beans)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot (I use a 4-quart pot or larger), heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the celery, onions, and potatoes, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the celery and onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute, stirring.
- Add the beef broth, tomato sauce, V8 juice, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve.
- You can make this soup vegan by replacing the beef broth with vegetable broth and omitting the Worcestershire sauce (or using a vegan Worcestershire sauce).
- You can add a can of diced tomatoes along with the broth and tomato sauce if you would like pieces of tomato in your soup.