Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
Instant Pot Chicken Breasts are so easy and ready in about 30 minutes - from fresh or frozen! Shred it, dice it, or slice it to use in your favorite recipes! Great for meal prep!
Servings: 8 (about 1/2 cup each - recipe makes about 4 cups total)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups chicken broth (or water)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Place the chicken breasts and the chicken broth (or water) in the Instant Pot (Don't use the trivet. You want the chicken sitting in the broth.). Season with salt and pepper. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the steam release valve to SEALING.
Press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK (depending on which model Instant Pot you have) and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes (for fresh chicken breasts) or 12 minutes (for frozen chicken breasts). It will take approximately 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure before the cooking time starts to count down.
When the cooking time is finished, turn the Instant Pot off and allow the pressure to release naturally, then remove the chicken breasts from the Instant Pot. Make sure the chicken is cooked through (internal temperature of at least 165°F).
Allow the chicken breasts to cool slightly until cool enough to handle, then shred, dice, or slice. If you have the time, let them cool completely before cutting...they will stay juicier this way!
- 2 pounds of chicken should give you approximately 4 cups of cooked chicken.
- You can double this recipe and use 4 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. The cooking times will be the same. Try to keep the chicken all in one layer rather than stacking it.
- Refrigerate cooked chicken for 3 to 4 days or freeze in 1 to 2-cup portions for up to 6 months.
- I used an 8-quart Instant Pot to make this recipe.