Turkey Sloppy Joes
Ready in about 30 minutes, these homemade Turkey Sloppy Joes are a little sweet, a little spicy, and a lot of delicious! A great recipe when you need to get dinner or lunch on the table fast!
Servings: 8 Sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 8 sandwich buns, I use potato buns
Brown the ground turkey in the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through. Drain off any excess fat.
Add the brown sugar, steak seasoning, onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions and peppers have softened.
Add the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Reduce heat and simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until heated through and the sauce thickens a bit. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Place turkey mixture on sandwich buns and serve.
- You can substitute 2 pounds of ground beef for the ground turkey.
- Freezes well.