Brown Butter Rice Crispy Treats
These easy Brown Butter Rice Crispy Treats are, hands down, the best crispy rice treats! Once you try them, you may never go back to the old version again (I haven't)!
- cooking spray
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, cut into 1-tablespoon slices
- 1 (10-ounce) package mini marshmallows
- 4 cups crispy rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
Spray the bottom and sides of an 8x8-inch baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
In a large stainless steel or other light-colored pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat stirring continuously.Note: Don't use a dark pot. You need to see the color of the butter as it browns.
Keep stirring; the butter will then start to foam.
Keep stirring just until there are golden brown bits on the bottom of the pan.Note: Be very careful not to burn them, which can happen very quickly once they start to brown. If they get too dark or black, you will need to start over. Immediately turn off the heat and add the marshmallows; stir until the marshmallows are melted and smooth. Note: The residual heat in the pot and on the stove should be enough to melt the marshmallows. If you find it is not enough, put the pot back over very low heat and continue stirring just until melted.
Working quickly, add the crispy rice cereal and stir until the cereal is evenly coated with the marshmallow mixture.
Transfer the cereal mixture into the prepared pan.
Using the back of a spoon or spatula sprayed with cooking spray to prevent sticking, gently press the mixture down into an even layer in the pan, spreading it all the way out to the edges and corners. Note: Don't compact it too much, as they treats can become too hard once cooled.
Allow to sit at room temperature until cooled and set, about 1 hour.
Carefully remove the treats from the pan and cut into 9 squares; Enjoy!
- These crispy rice treats are at their very best the day you make them!
- I cut these into 9 larger squares, but you can cut them into 16 smaller squares if you'd rather.
- You can add one teaspoon of vanilla extract to the melted marshmallows if you'd like.
- Want a bigger batch? Double the recipe and use a 9x13-inch pan.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container or bag at room temperature for 3 to 4 days (don't refrigerate).