Sausage and Peppers Pasta
Sausage and Peppers Pasta takes the classic Italian dish and turns it into an easy and delicious pasta dinner that's on the table in under an hour. Full of sliced Italian sausage, bell peppers, onions, garlic, and tomato sauce all mixed together with hearty rigatoni pasta, it's a total winner!
- 1 pound Italian sausage links (sweet, hot, or a combination)
- 8 ounces rigatoni pasta
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped into ½-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped into ½-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce, homemade or jarred (one 24 to 28-ounce jar)
- shredded or grated Parmesan cheese, optional
Place the sausage links in a large skillet. Add cold water to just cover the sausages. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until the sausages are cooked through (temperature of at least 160°F - be careful when taking the temperature, as some hot juice can squirt out of the sausages). Remove the sausages to a plate and allow to cool slightly. Remove the water from the skillet.
While the sausages are cooking, cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Slice the sausages into ¼-inch thick pieces. Add to the skillet with the peppers and onions along with the garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausages and veggies are lightly browned, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Add the spaghetti sauce and heat through.
Add the rigatoni and stir to combine.
Serve with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- If you want to skip the step of cooking the sausage and make this recipe even quicker, use pre-cooked Italian sausages - either ones that you made yourself ahead of time or store-bought.
- Calorie estimate does not include Parmesan cheese. Grated Parmesan cheese adds about 30 calories per tablespoon. Shredded is about 20 calories per tablespoon.