Skillet Chicken Fajitas
These Skillet Chicken Fajitas - full of super flavorful chicken, peppers, and onions - are so quick and easy, you can have a fabulous Mexican dinner any night of the week in just about 30 minutes!
Servings: 8 (2 fajitas per person)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium red bell peppers, sliced into thin strips
- 2 medium onions, sliced into thin strips
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 taco-sized (6 to 8-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- toppings of your choice
In a large bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients until well combined.
Add the thinly sliced chicken to the marinade and stir to coat the chicken evenly with the marinade; set aside.
In a large skillet (I use a 12-inch cast iron skillet), heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until they are crisp-tender and just start to get a little bit of brown color on them.
Remove the peppers and onions from the skillet to a bowl or plate; set aside.
In the same skillet over medium-high heat, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chicken and the marinade and cook, stirring frequently, until the chicken is cooked through.
Add the peppers and onions back to the skillet with the chicken and mix to combine. Cook for a minute or two just to make sure everything is warmed through.
Serve with warm tortillas and your favorite toppings.
- Suggested toppings: sour cream, cheese, salsa or pico de gallo, guacamole, fresh cilantro, lime juice.
- Calorie estimate is for two fajitas per serving (chicken mixture and tortillas) and does not include any toppings.