Basic Overnight Oats
These Basic Overnight Oats are the ultimate easy, make-ahead, healthy, delicious breakfast (no cooking required)! Once you know this simple base recipe, you can add limitless combinations of mix-ins and toppings!
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk, or the milk of your choice
- ¼ cup vanilla yogurt, regular or Greek
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, or the sweetener of your choice, to taste
- 1 pinch salt
Place all of the ingredients in a 16-ounce jar or a bowl and stir until well combined.
Cover and refrigerate overnight (at least 8 hours).
In the morning, give it a quick stir; enjoy as is or add your choice of mix-ins and/or toppings.
- I use and recommend regular old-fashioned rolled oats because I think they result in the best texture, but you can also use quick oats (they may be a bit more mushy). Try both and see which one you like better!
- Although you can technically use steel-cut oats, I don't recommend them. They will be very firm and chewy, even after several nights in the fridge!
- You can add mix-ins and toppings either before you let the oats sit or you can wait until serving. It depends on how fresh you want those things to be when you serve the oatmeal. If you want something to stay crunchy, though, definitely wait until serving to add it.
- Overnight oats will last in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. They will get softer the longer they sit.