Skip the drive-thru and make your own homemade Breakfast Bagel Sandwich! Made with bacon, eggs, cheese, and a toasted and buttered everything bagel, this super hearty and delicious breakfast sandwich will definitely keep you satisfied until lunchtime!
I like a drive-thru breakfast bagel sandwich just as much as the next person. They’re good, and they really do hit the spot sometimes. BUT…there’s no comparison to the deliciousness of a homemade breakfast bagel sandwich, which always leaves me wondering: why don’t the drive-thru sandwiches taste this good?!?
I mean it’s the same ingredients – bagel, eggs, cheese, bacon – but there’s just something missing. I don’t know what it is. All I do know is that a homemade bagel sandwich is just more delicious AND you definitely should make one soon and know for yourself! Like today. Like right now even. It doesn’t have to be breakfast time!
It’s so simple, and it only takes about 15 minutes! It would probably take you at least that long to drive to a restaurant and wait in line. Am I right?
Besides, I don’t know about you, but I would much rather eat breakfast at home than waiting in a long line only to get a sandwich that looks like someone stepped on it, and then eating said smushed sandwich in the car (and probably getting some of it on me) or at my desk. It is worth getting up a few minutes earlier to make this sandwich!
Now, I will admit that this breakfast is a bit on the indulgent side – it’s definitely not low-calorie – but, hey, I don’t eat it every day. I am a firm believer in the “everything in moderation” philosophy of eating. You gotta treat yourself sometimes!
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED:
- Everything bagel (or bagel flavor of your choice)
- Cheese (I use American)
- Salt and pepper
The everything bagel is my absolute favorite bagel. It really ups the flavor factor and is, in my opinion, the star of these sandwiches. It’s got poppy seeds, sesame seeds, garlic, onion, and salt. Yum, yum, yum, yum, and YUM! How could it not taste good?
I promise you, though, even if you’re not a fan of an everything bagel, you could use your favorite bagel flavor – even plain – and this sandwich will still be better than the drive-thru! The ingredients are so basic and simple, but it’s just sooo darn good!
HERE’S A QUICK LOOK AT HOW TO MAKE A BREAKFAST BAGEL SANDWICH:
I think using fried eggs rather than scrambled eggs makes a difference in the flavor of this sandwich. It’s weird, I know – an egg is an egg is an egg – but the flavors are different. I’ve tried it both ways, and fried eggs are just better.
By the way, I have zero patience for trying to get the eggs perfectly round. I can’t be bothered with rings and things when they only leak anyway or the eggs stick to them, so if the egg overhangs the bagel a bit…oh, well! Just tuck it in there, and you’re good to go!
Now, this particular combination of ingredients is just the beginning of homemade breakfast sandwich deliciousness. You can absolutely change things up! Use slices of ham or a sausage patty in place of the bacon. Just make it egg and cheese. Use different cheese. Use different bagel flavors. Use an English muffin or a croissant (!!) instead of a bagel. Make your sandwich exactly the way you like it!
Bonus: YES, this Breakfast Bagel Sandwich is totally freezable!❄? Take an hour or so some day when you have the extra time and make a bunch. After they’ve cooled, wrap them individually in foil and then place them in a freezer bag. They should last for at least a couple of weeks. Reheat them in the oven or toaster oven (keep in foil / 350°F for 15 minutes or until heated through) or in the microwave (remove the foil / wrap the sandwich in a paper towel / 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through).
I hope you try this Breakfast Bagel Sandwich recipe and love it as much as I do. Thanks for visiting today!
Breakfast Bagel Sandwich
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 everything bagel
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 slice American cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the bacon in a frying pan over medium-low heat to your desired level of crispiness (I recommend using a non-stick pan because we will be cooking the eggs in this pan later). Remove the bacon from the frying pan and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to allow some of the grease to drain off. Carefully remove all but one teaspoon of the bacon grease from the pan.
- While the bacon is cooking, toast your bagel and butter each side with 1 teaspoon of butter. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs into the pan. Using a fork, break the yolks so that they spread out a bit. Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Cook until the bottoms of the eggs are set. Carefully flip the eggs over and cook until the yolks are firm. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Stack the eggs one on top of the other, and top with the American cheese. Let it sit for a minute or two so that the cheese melts slightly.
- Place the eggs on the bottom half of the bagel, then top with the bacon and the bagel top. Enjoy!
- You can also cook the bacon in the microwave or in the oven if you prefer. You will just need a teaspoon of butter or oil to cook the eggs.