There’s no need to buy a packet when you can make your own awesome Homemade Taco Seasoning in minutes with spices you probably already have on hand. Use it for tacos or in any recipe that calls for taco seasoning!
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE TACOS, and this Homemade Taco Seasoning makes taco night just that much better!
Not only is it super yummy, I know exactly what’s in it, and it’s less expensive than buying those pre-made packets. Sold!
I grew up on taco kits, and I used them for a really long time (they do make really good tacos!). Then, one day, I accidentally bought what I thought was a taco kit, but it was only the taco shells.
And I didn’t realize it until…yep, I was already cooking the meat with hungry eaters milling about waiting for dinner.
So, after throwing a small tantrum and yelling at myself for making such a ridiculous, taco-night-ruining mistake (you don’t want to mess with taco night in my house), I knew I had to make this meat taste like taco meat and in a hurry.
I ran to the computer and searched for a homemade taco seasoning recipe. I mixed up a batch using the first recipe I found. It was all common spices that I already had, but I worried that the tacos just wouldn’t be the same…and I was right. They weren’t the same.
They were BETTER!!! And everyone said so! Happy Dance! Whew…crisis averted. I now buy the box of just the taco shells on purpose!
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING:
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
A lot of us already keep all of these spices in the pantry. If you don’t, you definitely should because they are common spices used in lots of recipes. All you have to do is measure and mix. Voilà! Homemade Taco Seasoning!
If you like things spicy, you can add some cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes.
This recipe will be the equivalent of one packet of taco seasoning – enough for one pound of meat (about 12 tacos). To make taco meat:
- Brown one pound of ground beef, turkey, or chicken in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add your homemade taco seasoning mix and 1 tablespoon of flour to the meat and stir to combine. Cook, stirring, for one minute.
- Add 2/3 cup of water and stir to combine. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
Warm your taco shells, get your toppings ready, and enjoy taco night!
You could also make a bigger batch for use in all kinds of recipes! Just store it in an airtight container, and it will keep for months. Smart!!
Oh, and one last thing…If you want to up your taco game even more, try my recipe for Homemade Taco Sauce. It’s quick, easy, and sooo good!
I hope you try this recipe for Homemade Taco Seasoning and love it as much as I do. Thanks for visiting today!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until well combined. Store in an air-tight container.
- Recipe makes enough taco seasoning for one pound of meat (enough for 12 tacos). To make taco meat: Brown one pound of ground beef, turkey, or chicken in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain off any excess fat. Add taco seasoning and 1 tablespoon of flour and stir to combine. Cook, stirring, for one minute. Add 2/3 cup water and stir to combine. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
Recipe adapted from Genius Kitchen.